There are some simple steps to take to ensure going paleo is a success. We like to view these as two separate categories: the building blocks and the glue that holds it all together.
THE BUILDING BLOCKS
This category of tips focuses on the science behind the diet. These are little tips that can serve as great guidelines for you as you go paleo.
Eat fewer carbohydrates than what is recommended in the modern western diet. The carbohydrates you do eat should come from fruits and vegetables, not grains, or refined sugars. Also, it may be good idea to limit you starchy tubers such as potatoes but we do not encourage cutting them all together as they have many great nutrients and add an awesome variety to ones diet.
- Eat a higher proportion of animal protein than the typical western diet. About 55% of your calories on the Paleo Diet come from lean animal protein sources.
- Eat a large amount of fiber from non starchy fruits and vegetables.
- Eat a diet with a net alkaline load. An acidic body environment creates negative effects on the body at the cellular level and people with acidic body chemistry are prone to fatigue. All fruits and vegetables are alkaline forming and sea greens are very alkaline forming. Meat on the other hand is acid forming, so you need to make sure that you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to maintain the net alkaline load.
Eat foods with low sodium content and high potassium content. Potassium helps to maintain hydration. Proper hydration enables optimal heart function, muscle contraction and nerve impulse stimulation. Excess sodium causes dehydration. Foods high in potassium include leafy green vegetables and most fruits. Bananas and kiwis are particularly high in potassium.
THE GLUE THAT HOLDS IT ALL TOGETHER
Now on to the good stuff, We told you all that above to tell you 2 VITAL components!
PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE!!!!!
- Preparation is a huge key to success. This is why we call it the glue that holds everything together. If you do not prepare in advance, it can be very hard to stay paleo when all the delicious temptations are coupled with the primal urge of human hunger. Plan ahead, pre-make and freeze meals, buy delicious Pre-Made Paleo meals to save time and hassle, and stick to your game plan!
MAKE PALEO A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET
- We have found little success with engaging the paleo diet as simply just another fad diet. It lasts for a short time, or if you are lucky an extended period of time, only to have prior eating habits and behaviors return to their former status quo. For paleo to be a long-term success it has to become a lifestyle and a way of life. Stay charged and excited about all things paleo and the exclusive community of which you belong. Read blogs, books, articles, posts, and follow pillars in the paleo community on social media. Where your interests lies, so does your time, energy, and passion so make this a priority.